The treatment for addiction needs proper care, monitoring, and follow-up of the patients. As the process takes time so a continuous family and friends support is necessary to keep an individual motivated. The success rates of the program are highly dependent on an individual’s determination and full participation in therapies sessions.
- Evaluation: The physical and psychological state of an individual is properly assessed and the treatment plan is made individually for each of the patients.
- Stabilization:During this phase, the goal is to make the body drug-free and stabilize the patient by treating the withdrawal symptoms.
Inpatient Treatment Facility:
It is also called as Residential treatment. The patient is required to stay 24 hours within the controlled environment of the facility. Family members are allowed to visit the patient and provide continuous emotional support. The duration of stay can vary from 28 days up till 6 months. It is decided upon the individual factors like duration and response rate of the treatment protocols. Constant care is ensured to guard against the relapse. The clinicians also provide therapy to reduce the drug cravings.
Outpatient Treatment Program:
The outpatient programs have less restrictive schedules than inpatient programs. Outpatient programs are more useful for individuals having a mild addiction. The overall duration of the program can vary from three months to a year. The sessions are focused on individual therapies, group counseling, and education regarding the trigger factors and coping mechanisms. There are basically two types of outpatient programs.
- Intensive programs: An individual has to attend the program for longer durations per week. The exact duration of an intensive program varies with each rehabilitation center. Some have selected seventy hours per week.
- Non-intensive program:It requires far less duration, about 10 to 12 hours to be spent at the facility each week. Many centers require less than nine hours in a week.
The outpatient programs cover many therapies like family therapy, job counseling, and health care.
There are many behavior therapies that are used for helping the individuals. Some of the popular therapies include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: It teaches the individuals to understand their emotions and thoughts and how to control them for bringing a positive outcome.
- Motivational interviewing:It involves challenges that encourage the addicts to adopt positive behaviors. The person is made aware of the harmful consequences of addiction.
- Covert sensitization:It is a type of an aversion therapy. The undesirable behavior is made to pair with a negative consequence to get rid of that behavior.
Aftercare programs are started after the initial treatment process is completed. They are considered a part of the continued treatment program for the substance abuse. This time is very important to help the persons to prevent the relapse. There are many types of Aftercare programs in which the relapse prevention techniques and effective coping strategies are learned by an individual. The lengths of Aftercare programs can vary from months to years.
- Outpatient facilities where educational programs are held daily.
- 12 step programs, where the counselors assist an individual to live a sober life. Group and individual counseling programs are provided.