There are many researched-based practices that can cure the addiction of the person. These approaches are very comprehensive and targeted at the physiological, biological, social and the theoretical aspect of the addiction. It is a multi-disciplinary approach that includes many therapies such as motivation and support counseling.
- Detoxification process: This is the first step of the treatment program. It helps to eliminate the drug from the body. During the detoxification process, the body metabolizes any amount of lingering drug inside the body. There are many purposes served by the detoxification process, which include a reduction in the severity of withdrawal symptoms, management of any associated health risks and to take the patient towards the path of proper recovery.
- Inpatient treatment facilities: In this treatment option, the person lives on the premises of the treatment facility. There is a team of medical specialists and therapists who treat and monitor the patient throughout the stay. The duration of stay is variable depending on the patient’s condition and the duration of abuse. One of the biggest advantages of the inpatient facilities is that a patient can stay away from the stressors and trigger factors of the abuse. It is the ideal option for high-risk detoxification or the patients having a long duration of substance abuse. The success rates of inpatient facility are higher than the outpatient treatment facility.
- Outpatient treatment facility: It is reserved for people who have a good health and are motivated towards the achievement of the recovery goal. The outpatient facility is also called as ‘non-residential facility’ in which the patient stays at the home and attends the therapy sessions. The treatment techniques are almost similar to the inpatient program but the intensity and duration of the program are less. People enrolled in the outpatient program are allowed to visit back their home after attending the few hours at the treatment facility. Before selecting any type of rehabilitation program, there is a careful assessment of physical and psychological conditions of the patient. After the initial assessment, a proper treatment facility is suggested to the patient.
- Use of behavioral therapies: The behavioral and psychological interventions are an important part of the treatment program. These are targeted to replace the old habits with a set of new habits that can prove to be beneficial for the recovery process. The most popular therapies include:
Behavioral therapy: It is designed to provide the motivation for change. The problem-solving techniques are taught to the patient. The trigger factors are also identified and the methods to effectively combat them.
12 steps program: It is a long-term program. It is based on the spiritual and social techniques to treat the drug addicts.
Motivational Incentive Program: It is based on the positive reinforcement and the reward therapy to encourage the patient towards the recovery process.
Alternative therapy: These include the other therapies like equine therapy, art therapy, and wilderness therapy to treat the addiction of patient.
- After-Care Programs:These are the programs that allow the long-term recovery and minimize the rate of relapse. The program consists of four main parts, counseling, individual therapy, group therapy, and the support programs. Through these programs, a greater accountability is ensured and a higher success rate of the treatment.