An effective method to overcome the addiction is the participation in a rehabilitation program. Treatment at the detox facility starts with a complete physical and psychological exam and certain screening tests. Prescreening is also held to determine if the patient has a concomitant drug abuse or any other underlying medical disorder. After this initial examination process is completed, the patient is sent for the procedure of detoxification.
Detoxification: It is the basic step during the treatment of Subutex addiction. There are two methods available for Subutex detoxification, a rapid detox method, and tapering off method.
- Rapid detox is a quick method to eliminate the drug from the body. The patient is sedated with mild anesthesia and all the traces are flushed out of the body system. It usually takes one to two hours. The method is termed as controversial and isn’t very suitable for every individual.
- A tapering off method involves gradual reducing of the dose over a period of weeks. Then the drug is stopped completely, usually after 3 weeks. The withdrawal symptoms can develop during the process, which may demand a much slower process of tapering the doses.
Inpatient Treatment Facility: There are many aspects that have to be focused during the treatment of addiction. The inpatient programs provide the benefit of encompassing all the aspects of treatment. The aim of the inpatient treatment facility is to provide a safe, calm and peaceful environment to the individuals. There are many benefits of utilizing the inpatient treatment facility:
- There can be an interaction of the patient with others who are suffering from similar problems.
- Techniques are taught to reduce the relapse rates.
- Stress management programs are also held.
The therapeutic activities are also offered to help the addicts fight the relapse urges. There are many counseling sessions that can help the individuals to understand their weaknesses and combat them.
Outpatient Treatment Program: The outpatient programs offer the similar therapies but the time duration is less and the environment is different. An individual stays at his home and can continue the routine activities or work schedules. However, he has to attend the facility many times a week. The participants of this program are given more freedom. The disadvantage is that the individuals are more prone to the trigger factors and temptations. This is the reason that this isn’t applicable to every addict who wants a successful recovery process. It is recommended for those who have a milder addiction, strong motivational force, very supportive family and friends, and people who have completed the detoxification process and are fully stable.
Behavioral Therapies: Therapies form an important part of the treatment program. They are started after the process of detoxification is completed. Some of the beneficial behavioral therapies include:
- Motivational Interviewing: The purpose is to motivate the person to develop the willingness towards the adoption of healthy and positive changes in life.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): This helps an individual to identify the trigger factors and mechanisms to cope up with them.
- Contingency Management: It is based on rewards upon producing the desired behavior, which in this case is abstinence from the drug.
Aftercare Programs: These programs constitute a series of sessions that allow an individual to stay motivated towards achieving the goal. These are necessary to lower the relapse rates. The aftercare programs include
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Maintenance medications
- Anger management
- Educational programs
- Effective skills
All these therapies effectively reduce the likelihood of a relapse. They help an individual to learn the coping techniques and ways to return towards the normal life. The goal is to equip the individual with effective coping mechanism so he does not go back to the usage of drug.